Monday, January 19, 2009

YMCA ramblings...

I have now been going to the Y for five months. In that five months I have not only lost a few pounds and surely made my heart happier, I have also noticed that some of the weirdest people on Earth go there too. Take for instance this one guy who I have seen on numerous occasions, who walks the track in jeans and a leather coat. What's with that? Then the other day I saw a woman not only walking the track with her coat on but carrying a Safeway bag full of groceries?? What is she doing?

There is another real star of a guy who looks like he stepped directly out of his Delorian and onto the track of our local YMCA. The guy wears boner pants, which should in itself sum him up. I run on the treadmill and the track circles me. I have made the mistake of looking up numerous times right at the exact moment he runs by me. I am pretty sure that now he thinks I am trying to pick him up which couldn't be further from the truth. I have noticed that he goes out of his way to warm up beside me. I am hopeful his boner pants don't give him away.

Then there is this weird old guy who is trying very hard to emulate Stevie Wonder. As he works out on the elliptical he listens to his music and closes his eyes, swaying back and forth to the beat. I cannot help but laugh out loud at him. I try to be subtle but find myself pointing and gawking. I wonder if that is wrong?

Then there is the group of girls who come to "work out". They arrive in full make-up, short black shorts and never break a sweat, not even a hint of dew forms on their overly made up faces. I noticed yesterday that one of them wears these weird lace up boot runners, kind of like a wrestler. I think she may be the ring leader.

On a side note not directly related to the people at the Y, I sunk to an all time low while working out yesterday. I was listening to my music and flipping through the channels on the TV when I came across something I have never seen before, and like a car wreck I stopped to watch. It was a competition for the strongest man. I swear, I have never seen anything so stupid as long as I have lived. Here on national television these weird looking men with no necks compete in events to be considered the strongest and possibly stupidest man on Earth. I tuned in just in time to see some neanderthal man lifting kegs above his head and throwing them up and over a banner like thing. After he was done and the white trash crowd was done cheering he would tear off his shirt and be interviewed by some reported who obviously drew the short straw that day. I am willing to hedge a bet that if you were to take the mean IQ in that crowd it would hover somewhere around 35.

6 comments:

veggiemom said...

Hey, send me your email at ethioguatemama at yahoo.com and I'll send you the password.

Thomas said...

You have a way with words and you make me laugh with your commentary about the 'fringe' people in our society. I loved the boner pants story. Hilarious!!

Sarah said...

My Mister would like to note the following facts about the Strongest Man competition (I'm transcribing for him):

* As far as sports go, they are low on the respect rank. They don't make much $, they don't make huge endorsements, and to get as strong as they do takes discipline and a lot of work (and drugs **but he did add that under his breath).

*He feels sorry for them because it takes a huge sacrifice for them.

Okay.

HONESTLY, I did not know these things about the Mister before I married him. Kinda like how I didn't know he could breakdance until he did the fullfledge worm, backspin and an ATTEMPTED headspin at my best friends' wedding. The headspin should have landed him in the hospital, or at least a chiropractor's office, but it's amazing how a large quantity of alcohol can make you relatively injury-resistant.

**Now the Mister is recanting, saying that he does not know these facts because he watches such events, but because he read about it in a Muscle and Fitness mag in a doctor's waiting room. He would like to add that he spends an inordinate amount of time in waiting rooms as defined by his job description.

Uh huh. I don't buy it either ;)

Sarah said...

Also, I think I have the clone of your jeans/leather jacket guy at my Y.

My Y story from Monday night: I was the only person in one of the cardio rooms on the treadmill. The other room had ALL the treadmills free. A guy who looks JUST like Steven King walked up to the room I was in, heading directly for the treadmill next to me. Ha ha ha, the laugh was on him, as the treadmill next to mine was broken (they are set up in 2's, so on my other side was the wall).

What a freak!

Jenn said...

LOL Sarah! I am sure the men of the world's strongest man competition are truly gifted athletes. I could tell they were nothing but professional when they tore their shirts from their bodies and beat their fists against their chests.

Sebrina Wilson said...

lol, this post made me laugh I can totally picture these weird people at the Y :-)