Monday, January 5, 2009

Weird

Did anyone catch 20/20 on Friday night? Were you not completely weirded out by these people? For those who were not so lucky and missed it, here's the synopsis. The show was about "Extreme Motherhood" and it showed and discussed some weird and in my opinion slightly twisted aspects of motherhood, birth, and trying to become a mother.

The first segment was on orgasmic birth. Yup you read that right. These women report that not only was birth pain free it was pleasurable-orgasmic! I am sorry, I have had four babies, three with no meds and it was far from orgasmic.

The next was about women who bought these weird and slightly creepy dolls and then pretend they are real babies. They are called "reborns". One woman goes so far as to take her "baby" out in a stroller to the park as if it's real. They have nurseries for them, name them, have Birthday parties for them....I am thinking these women are in need of some serious psychiatric intervention.

Then they profiled woman who act as surrogates for infertile couples, great right? Well the ones they profiled were surrogates to the maximum, having carried 12 or more babies for childless couples. They self admitted being addicted to it. One of the nut jobs inseminates herself at home with a syringe using the man's sperm, very scientific I am sure. So scientific that she actually got pregnant, gave the baby to the awaiting couple only to find out later it was actually the baby of her and her boyfriend.

If that isn't weird enough, what about women who breastfeed their kids well into their elementary school age years. Like let's say 8 or 9...I am all for breastfeeding. I am all for breastfeeding toddlers, but 8 or 9 years old? That is weird, very weird. I really think that woman needs to ask herself who is benefiting more from that relationship, her or the child.

Finally, they looked at home births. I am a big advocate of having your baby at home, but these women not only gave birth at home they chose to do so with NO medical help. No midwife, nothing, just them. Is that not a bit absurd to you?

10 comments:

Christina said...

I saw this show too, it was very disturbing, especially to see a grown child on their mothers lap drinking. Also gross, the child commenting on which breast had more milk in it.

Leslie said...

I didn't see that one, but I did happen upon a BBC America show about the women with the very lifelike dolls. It was very bizarre.

Thomas said...

Orgasmic child birth, freaks!! Maybe that is why the Duggar woman keeps having kids....those oh, so special deliveries.

Cheryl said...

Weird - that's all I can say! I thought extreme motherhood was adopting three kids from Ghana! LOL!

Mamato2 said...

LOL! It was all a little out there, but the dolls were the creepiest! As you know, I did my own post on this b/c it bugged me HUGE!

laura said...

I woke up and found my 8 year old son watching this show. I sent him to bed and now wonder what he thought of orgasmic child birth!! The parts I saw were weird enough.

Sarah said...

Ewwww! I didn't catch the show, and am kind of glad I didn't! I haven't heard of any of it, except the doll thing. That is so, so strange.

This Mama said...

Wow...I think if I did see the show I might have had nightmares about it. Very weird.

Ericka said...

orgasmic birth?
isn't that like, an oxymoron??

I'm with Sarah, I'm glad I missed it!

Ew

Kristen Howerton said...

I'm sad I missed this! I love a good freak show. Okay, the orgasmic birth thing. PA-LEASE. Childbirth did curl my toes a bit, and I did grab at the sheets and cry out. But not in a good way.