Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Top three burning questions....help!!

Today is Earth Day.....seeing that we are about to move I am not wanting to dig up my yard and plant a garden and the yard is already too small for anther tree...so I have been tossing around what I can do with my kids to celebrate the Earth, teach them something, while still having some fun....any ideas?

I also have another question for the more experienced bakers out there. My cookies are flat. They look more like pancakes than cookies. I follow the recipes exactly and they still look like pancakes....friends make the same cookies and they get perfect little mounds of cookie delight. What am I doing wrong?

One more....how do you convince your four year old to wipe his own bum when he's done on the potty? I find it hard to disagree with him when he crinkles up his nose and tells me it's gross, but I also know that his kindergarten teacher will find it equally gross if she is summoned to the washroom to wipe a strange child's bum.....any ideas?

4 comments:

Nadia said...

what do you use in your cookies, butter or margarine??hard margarine is the best. soft margarine will make flat cookies.

Sarah said...

I usually halve the butter in cookie recipes--they seem to turn out softer. Or, if you're not opposed, Butter Crisco works wonders, although dreadfully gross.

Are you chilling the dough? Sometimes chilling the dough helps it not flatten out so quickly. Or perhaps lower your oven temp by 10% or so.

Maybe could you buy each kid a terracotta plot, and let them plant a flower? That's kind of fun. They could paint the pots. Great Mother's day gift, too, for the grandma's.

Ericka said...

ok, this is REALLY gross, but the kindergarten teacher probably won't help him and then he'll come home not wiped. Hopefully this will gross him out even more and he'll start wiping???????
Maybe threaten pull ups????
So understand this dilemna!!!!

Kristen Howerton said...

I have no wisdom to share. Jafta is watching Oprah with me and learning about landfills - that is the extent of our earth day stuff. He can't wipe his own ass yet and I don't bake.

Glad I could help.