Tuesday, April 28, 2009

New found health?

Since my friend M asked why the found health, I will share. I am most certainly not a health nut and quite honestly don't ever think I could be. I like the bad stuff way too much. Things like chocolate, McDonald's fries, and licorice are likely to be found in my veins. I decided to give up red meat and pork about four or five months ago. I had read tons of literature about increased risks of colon cancer, heart disease, etc and decided that I didn't like red meat enough to put myself at a higher risk for these diseases. I threw pork in as well for good measure. For the past several months I have stuck to chicken, turkey, and fish and like I thought, haven't missed the red stuff at all. Recently I read a book called "Skinny Bitch". I didn't buy the book but picked it up one day after it was left at my house by a friend. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. The descriptions of the inhumane treatment of animals made me want to cry and the list of crap that goes into our meat made me want to throw up. I vowed from that moment on that I was officially done with meat. I suggest everyone read it...it is graphic and horrible but like the author states in the book "if the animals have to endure it, the least we can do is read it".

As for my beloved diet coke...that decision was made for me by the horrible acid reflux I was having. It didn't take long to note the connection between the DC and the excruciating pain in my chest and gut. I figured my body was smart and that it was letting me know I was doing damage to it, one beautiful silver tin at a time-so I quit. Cold turkey. Not good. My head felt like it was going to explode and I was a moody bitch for several days, but now I am feeling better.

A few months ago it dawned on me that I did things in my life that were not exactly conducive to good health. I don't mean anything weird and crazy, but my diet was not so good. I don't drink often and I have never smoked. I don't jump out of airplanes or off bridges for sport, but I did eat a lot of crap. I realized that I had five kids, yes that just dawned on me recently, and I knew that it was my responsibility to be around for them as long as possible. And while I know that a lot of that is out of my control I do also know that much of it is within my control.

So there you have it. I will not be giving up my chocolate and I will most certainly not be eating sprouted grain bread or feeding my kids almond milk, but I will be slowly whittling away my bad habits to get healthy and stay healthy.

4 comments:

Adventures of A n Z said...

Proud of you.

As for me, the no carb thing is working. in fact I gorged myself at Disney one day and got very sick.

Oh and I think I have picked up your dc habit....

Jenn said...

Those freakin silver tins are like meth, aren't they?

I think once the swine flu clears up I may take you up on your visit offer...still on the table? I need heat...

Adventures of A n Z said...

yes it is still on the table.

Jenn said...

You tell me when and I will ditch the family.