Monday, July 13, 2009

One year home...

Today marks one year since Wil came home. I am not about to say that this has been an easy year, or an easy transition because all who know me know that it has been at times, an uphill climb. Adopting and now parenting Wil has taught me things about myself that I didn't know. My patience has been tried. My sanity has been questioned. It has taken me a long time to get to appreciate my new normal.

A year in I have to say that things are slowly becoming "normal" again. Parenting five children is now becoming easier and my relationship with my new son is slowly evolving. If anyone would have told me before he came home that we were looking at a year to get to a sense of balance, I would have thought they were being ridiculous. Now that we have 365 days behind us I can say that I am grateful for each and every one of those days. My sense of accomplishment in navigating what turns out to be, one of the hardest years of my life, has left me feeling stronger, left me more confident in how we parent our children, and most importantly- happy.

Happy Forever Day, Wil!

9 comments:

This Mama said...

Well it has been wonderful watching him join you guys and watch him grow and blossom in your home. He has the happiest little face I have ever seen on a little guy. I am glad you made it through and things get a little better each day. You guys are doing great.

Take care,
Mandy

Not Betty Crocker said...

I agree with Mandy. Thanks for sharing all you do with us. Happy one year!!

Jody said...

He is so cute.

Happy 1 year at home. I am glad that things keep getting better.

veggiemom said...

Happy forever day!!!

Sarah said...

Happy One Year, Wil and Jen and Family!

Jen, I cannot begin to express my appreciation for all that you have shared via blogging and FB. I feel like I have a much better grasp on things going into my first week with Miles at home.

Thanks, dear!
Sarah

Laurie said...

Jen he doesn't look like the same little boy you brought home. He looks so cute & healthy now.

I too appreciate you keeping your blog real so we all know we are not alone in our frustrations & set backs.

One day at a time & it does gets easier.

Would still love to meet your little guy & set up a play date.

Kristen Howerton said...

So glad you are finding your new normal. It was fun to read about your journey this week.

laura said...

Congratulations! What a difference a year makes. I never would have thought this year would turn out like it did. It is wonderful watching Wil turn into such a happy boy. I have love reading your blog and FB and seeing real life adoption, its much more helpful than those silly tv shows.

Unknown said...

He looks amazing Jen. I mean like a totally different kid. Has he attached well to you? I mean I imagine so! He is extremely handsome! I hope the poop thing gets resolved soon, that cannot be fun. Happy Gotcha Day, Will!!!

steph