Thursday, July 9, 2009

Part 4...

Friday morning arrived in a cloud of dust and mosquito's. I swear there must have been an entire family of those buggers sleeping with me, I awoke to about 50 bites on my arms and legs, some were so creative they got me between my fingers. Thank goodness for malaria meds!

We headed downstairs for breakfast. I can honestly say I never eat the breakfasts that are served. The eggs look weird, and the bread makes my stomach do flips and turns that it shouldn't be allowed to do. So I pass on breakfast. In actuality I think I passed on just about everything this time. I swear I probably ingested about 30 calories the entire trip and was never hungry, must have been the heat. We fed the kids and did some sitting, after all that is what you do in Haiti. Before long it was time to go and pick up our transit Visa's. C wasn't feeling so hot so R decided to go and get them for us. It worked out well. I took the kids into my oven, I mean room, C had a rest and R took the fun ride back to the embassy sans children.

So now I had a 2, almost 3, and 4 year old in my room. In order to prevent them from killing each other I did what every responsible parent does, I fed them crap. This was also the first time during the trip I took any pictures....




This was also the first time I heard Wil say anything. Maddy tried to take his cookie and along with a slap to the head he said "no!". It was funny to hear him actually speak! The kids attentions spans were short lived in my room so we headed out to he rooftop porch to hang out on the swing. They were getting loud and I didn't want them to wake C. My efforts were in vain because poor C stumbled on to the porch a few minutes later. It was cooler up there and there was an ever so small breeze that was so very welcomed. The heat was awful. I was sweating from places that I didn't even know had sweat glands. Did you know that your eyelids sweat? gross. We hung out there for a while, the kids all sat in a trance on the swing while we pushed it gently with our foot. Wil fell asleep and Maddy started to look a bit green from the motion. R arrived back to the guesthouse not too long after he left with three very wanted transit visa's! We all took a look at them, scanning them for any mistakes, but they were perfect! Yay USA! That was it, the final hurdle, we could leave!! I swear we started counting down the hours at that point until we could board that plane!

The rest of Friday went along like any day in Haiti. It dragged and flew by all at the same time. We sat upstairs in Walls while the kids slept, talking and discussing what we wanted to eat when we arrived in Miami. That's when you know you are getting hungry, when your conversation is centered around dry ribs and wings. That night we decided to go back over to the creche, to drop off a few donations and say good bye to the kids nannies. We gathered the kids and our cameras up and headed back out and on to the dark street. The streets of Haiti at night are so different than they are here. People are walking around by the dozen, music is playing, animals are running around, babies are crying.... As soon as we arrived at the door of the creche the kids were already whining. I am sure they thought they were going back. The nannies came out so we could give them their gifts and take a picture with the kids. The kids were not impressed. They wanted nothing to do with their old caregivers. Pulling away from them, crying, and just generally wanting to get out of there. Funny how after two years of care they wanted to be with the people they had known for two days. We didn't stay long. Marie was still gone house hunting and the nannies don't speak English. We said our goodbyes, dropped off our stuff and left. The kids only seemed to relax once we were back behind the walls of the guesthouse. I have no idea what time it was since it is pitch black at 6 pm in Haiti and I felt like it was midnight, although I am sure it was only 7 or 8. I went back to my room to pack up my carry on bags and lay out my clothes for the next day, eager to leave? uh ya!

We sat upstairs for a little while longer and the guesthouse managers wife did Maddy's hair while she slept. We said our good nights and went off to our rooms. I couldn't sleep, so I talked to my sister and a few friends on Facebook for a while and then finally passed out. Wil had long since fallen asleep on the bed and looked ever so comfy sleeping on an actual mattress with a pillow to boot! I was scared of sleeping in on Saturday morning, can you imagine over sleeping and missing your flight out? I would die! R woke me up bright and early at 6:00 and I tried to make myself look presentable, didn't really work. I finished packing up my meager carry on bags, dressed Wil and brushed his teeth and headed downstairs. Our flight we thought was scheduled to leave at 9:25, we were trying to pin down the manger of the guesthouse to leave at 7am. For some reason he never believes you when you tell him what time you want to leave. I have done the Haiti airport now five times and this trip was the one I was dreading the most. The lines, the chaos, the disorganization would only be compounded by the presence of three small, scared, and tired little kids. I was trying not to picture the drama that was about to unfold. After a quick breakfast for the kids the manager came out all panicked telling us we had to go NOW! Really?....isn't that what we tried to get across to you 30 minutes ago?? We piled our stuff into the back of the white van and left. Now this vehicle was obviously the bomb, complete with doors, a roof, and even barely functioning AC!! Woohooo.....The ride to the airport was quick and uneventful. It dawned on me during that ride what was actually happening. As you drive down the streets you are made to see the poverty you are taking your child from. Little kids walking half dressed through the garbage, chickens and goats right along side them, people just sitting on folding chairs along the sides of the road, waiting...for nothing.

When you arrive at the airport there is always someone wanting to "help" you with your bags. Usually I just say no thanks and grab them myself, but this guy was extra aggressive and just took our bags. Best thing to happen!!! He took us right to the front of the first of many lines at the airport. We breezed through the first security check and into the semi cool airport. The line to get your boarding passes is always disgusting but not with our guy! Again, right to the front to the line! I was beginning to feel like Angelina! We got our boarding passes and moved on to the green ticket-collector-guy. Not sure what this guys actual job is..he just stands there as some kind of Haitian gate keeper and looks at your passport, which is what the next guy does too. This was the last stop for our airport friend, who then ended our so loving friendship as he asked us for the money. We gave him $20 each, which he was not too impressed with and said our farewells. After you see the ticket-collector-guy you head through the frosted sliding doors into what is usually a 3-ring circus. I was dreading the opening of those doors...but the room was empty! Woohoo...we cruised right through immigration. They scanned our passports, looked for the Visa's for the kids and that was it. No asking who we were, about the adoption or anything, just a stamp stamp and we were done! Breezed through the next two security checks and...done! We were now just waiting!

Our plane was leaving 30 minutes sooner than we thought so we were so happy we shelled out the money to our airport friend!The kids ran around like hoodlums and we sat and enjoyed the AC. Before long it was time to board the plane....

to be continued...

2 comments:

Mamato2 said...

Not sure which room you had at Wall's, but never settle for an interior room b/c no air circulates, even with fans, and when you're staying 4 to 8 weeks, as I do, you need AIR :) If you go back, insist on the room that has windows on 2 sides and insist on one of the stand alone GIANT fans.
As for the ccoking- the eggs are okay, but the french toast on wednesdays- yum. Funny, though, after eggs and toast EVERY day, I always looked forward to plain old cereal on Sundays :) Night time fare, after John's death (don't know if you ever met him) is hit and miss, but as I said, I was there A LOT and the cook (Wesley was the last one I met), or ladies always made something just for me b/c they knew I didn't eat meat in Haiti (anywhere, really :)It used to piss off old lady Wall big time! LOL
I love reading your account- so many memories. I have had "helpers" try to move me ahead of people in the lines at the airport and I have told them absolutely not, that I will wait my turn- they look at me like I have something cracked in my head. maybe I do :)
You know, what you say about Wil and the other 2 children NOT wanting to see their caretakers is so sad and must've been your first clue that attachment was going to be hard work.
I'm reading your blog like the old serials in magazines- can't wait for part 5.

Christina said...

Jen,

I love this, it's so great to read because it brings it all back so clearly. I'm glad it's done but it was such an adventure. Remember the roach the size of Wil's shoe under the security scanner that we almost grabbed instead of the shoe and the way Maddy screamed bloody murder for the majority of the flight, oh what fun. I also remember our first meal in the U.S., airport pizza never tasted so good!
Can't wait to read the rest.