Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Busy, Busy, Busy...

I am not sure if I even sleep anymore. The house has been listed for about a week now and we have had about six showings. Keeping the house spotless, the laundry done, and clearing out for an hour every day is proving to be more difficult than I thought! I have always kept a pretty clean and uncluttered house but as soon as you put it on the market you see all the little things that you have never noticed before. I have touched up walls, repainted doors, closets, and mouldings, scoured showers to the point of pulling a muscle in my shoulder, and spent a small fortune on air fresheners and candles. Each and every time the realtor calls to tell us we have a showing I turn into a crazy woman, yelling at the kids, cursing the dust, and telling myself that I am going to move into a hotel until the house is sold. We cram the kids in one room in hopes of keeping the mess isolated while I run around cleaning the rest. We then pile into the car and try and find something to do for an hour while strangers tramp through my house and critique my decorating style. Sometimes we park at the other end of the street and watch them get out of their cars, trying to judge if they will be "the one's".

I am working my butt of trying to lose the last 10 dreaded pounds before our trip to Vegas in July. Wearing a bathing suit in front of your friends is always a strong motivating factor. We have booked the flights, hotel, and tickets to see Seinfeld in concert at Caesar's. I am pretty excited about seeing Jerry!!

The new house is a few days away from being drywalled and I am super excited to see it finally start to look like a house. I have pretty much forgotten what we actually selected in terms of interior finishes so it may not look anything like what I am picturing in my head.

Wil has been trying my patience something fierce the last couple weeks. Saying no to anything and everything I ask of him, deliberately disobeying, and being kinda jerky are his new strong suit. Little does he know I am much stronger willed than he is and I will not lose. The bottom stair may have an imprint of his bum soon from all the time-outs he has been having....

3 comments:

Thomas said...

Our last transfer here to North Dakota was chaotic liked you said, except I had to load up the kids and 4 dogs. Major pain in the butt. I didn't even drive down the street, I just parked in the neighbors driveway or waited in their backyard. That way I could sometimes eaves drop and catch what they were saying about my house. I hate selling a house that we are living in!

Laurie said...

Living in a home that must look like a show home is brutal & doing so with five kids, well I can't imagine.

Hopefully the right "ones" find it soon so you can relax & not have to clean compulsively all day.

You must be thrilled about getting a new home though, or will that wait until you recover from the traumatic move?

Kristen Howerton said...

That DOES sound brutal. I hate showing houses! I've never done it with kids and can't even imagine.

Hmmm . . . maybe I need to plan a bathing-suit related trip to get my butt into gear, too.