Saturday, May 9, 2009

Two years ago...

This Mother's Day weekend marks two years of our first meeting with Wil in Haiti. Two years ago Phil and I arrived in Haiti, my second trip and his first, to meet a bunch of other adoptive parents and our kids. It's crazy to think that two years has already gone by. Many of those we met during that trip I have lost contact with. With their adoptions being complete they moved away from the world of adoption and back into the world of reality, the way it should be. When my adoption drew to a close I too felt the need to leave the adoption world and regain my footing in the land of reality. What an awesome feeling that was! Some of those we met that Mother's Day weekend are still waiting....


In two years life has changed immensely. I officially quit work, and have officially begun my courses to refresh my license to begin again. We bought a new house and are now entering the horrors of trying to sell this one. My kids have grown and become amazing little people, full of wit, charm, and an out-spoken nature that I am so proud of. But the most amazing of changes have been in the little man who was forever home last July. Since Wil arrived home he has gone from non-verbal to a babbling fool. He has gone from a skinny and despondent little man to a somewhat chubby, crazy preschooler.


The picture above is of our first meeting, Mother's Day weekend 2007.


I always knew that getting him home was going to be what got him better. He did not thrive in Haiti, he needed a home.

This is Wil now. A crazy, loud, smiley little three year old man.

To all those still waiting, I think of you often. I hope for your little men and women to come home soon.

8 comments:

Adventures of A n Z said...

wow, it was two years ago... hard to believe. How time flies. Happy monher's days!

Not Betty Crocker said...

It is so great to see how much he's progressed since coming home. I loved this post. Happy Mother's Day!

veggiemom said...

Lovely...
Happy Mother's Day!

Ericka said...

wow wow wow.
he looks amazing.
thinking of all the waiting moms.....

laura said...

I doubt I'll ever celebrate another mother's day without thinking of that one. our little grasshopper baby's!! I was so sure getting Marcella home would cure whatever was wrong with her. It never occurred to me then that she would still be stuck there with no end in sight 2 years later. If I had known i am sure I would have run away and never looked back. Your Wil is doing so great and here's hoping the rest get out before next mothers day!!

Elder Cook said...

He looks fantastic and sounds like you all are doing great! Happy late Mother's day to you Jen. You are right he needed a Home and that he has now.

This Mama said...

Happy belated Mother's day Jen!

Mamato2 said...

Li bèl anpil!