Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Laundry room and a question...

Well my dear Sarah, the laundry room is a place very near and dear to my heart....With five kids I tend to spend a lot of time in my laundry room which is right now just the last undeveloped place of our basement. It currently houses a bunch of storage shelves, a cat litter box, and a deep freeze. I would take a picture to to document how truly gross it is but I am afraid the shear image would melt your retinas.

My only big request for the laundry room in the new house was that it A) had walls that did not consist of the raw part of the drywall and wood wall frames and B) it was on the main floor of the house. I am simply too lazy to make that arduous trek up and down the basement stairs.

We ended up up doing two laundry rooms in the new house. One is on the main floor, adjacent to the mudroom and the other is in the basement. The two older kids are perfectly capable of washing their own clothes and since they will take up residence in the basement so will their laundry room. They get bare bones down there, similar to what I have now. Their 's will be in the unfinished basement and will just be the machines a couple shelves, and a cupboard. I figure they probably won't frequent it all that often so the money will be better spent elsewhere.

The main floor laundry room is not all that big but I do have some ideas to make it more functional. I have wall to wall cabinets above the machines and a counter as well. I am also thinking that I may have some kind of individual bins done for each of the three younger kids and for the us and the linen closet. That way they can just gather up what is in their bins and put their own clothes away. I am also having the ironing board built into the wall opposite of the machines.

We went to the kitchen place today and she is working on the 3D drawings of the new layout for us to look at and adjust. It was mildly painful with my husband who comes up with ridiculous ideas like built in stools for the little kids to wash their hands at the sink. I am not sure who he is kidding, they don't was their hands. It will take her a couple weeks to get the drawings and of course the price to us so I will try and scan them when she does to get some opinions. I did hear her say the word "custom" a few times which in my ears sounds like cash registers going off. We may be eliminating a few things...we'll see.

Do any of you have a water softener? Do you like it? worth the money? We have had it roughed in but unsure if we will get one or not.

4 comments:

Mamato2 said...

please send an invitation for your blog to labadeegirl@hotmail.com, k? Thanks so much for letting me know :)

Sarah said...

The hidden stool comment for hand washing has me in tears here, lol!

I would kill for a counter about my laundry machines. Kill. Ask the Mister, because I nearly did him in with that request (and no, I still don't have my darn counter!)

We have a water softener. When we moved in, it ran twice a day. When a plumber was here to install my dishwasher, he peeked in the water softener. Asked if I ever put salt in it (ahhh, no!). Turns out that the salt in there by the previous owner congealed into one huge salt monster. Ick.

So, we just unplugged it and there it sits. Next to the utility sink that no one hooked up yet either (don't look at me!)

Thomas said...

We had a reverse osmosis water softner in our last house and I really don't know what the hell it did. We never added salt and the water was just water to me. It took a good sized space in our mechanical room and I really don't think it is needed.

My suggestion for your utility room is to get a blow up dolly of a maid, like the pilot in the movie Airplane, and have her do all the laundry. I have a friend who is severly mentally ill and actually enjoys doing laundry and hand washable stuff. Pity the poor fool!

Ericka said...

Ok missy!
Pres. Obama may be interrupting Bachelor tonight, so you have make sure and keep us up to date, k??